A rug is a textile floor covering consisting of an upper layer of pile attached to a backing. It is an important piece of item that can help us keep an area clean. Outdoor rugs nowadays have the impressive ability to effectively trap in dirt. Most are a breeze to clean since they are water-proof. Depending on the country it was made in and the materials it was made of, the appearance of a rug greatly varies. Some are printed, some are plain. Some may even mirror the culture of its country origin. The size, as well, can be picked according to your preference. There are one that cover an extensive area, while others are of a standard size.
Rugs are pretty interesting, considering how long we have been using them and how much they have evolved over time. There are a lot of fun and interesting facts about rugs. Here are some of them:
- Most outdoor rugs are made of polypropylene. Polypropylene is an inexpensive material.
- Outdoor rugs that are made from Polypropylene are stain-resistant.
- The commercial rug industry started in England.
- Outdoor rugs are made to resist mildew.
- Rugs are also called carpets.
- Cutting the rug is the slang term for dancing.
- Outdoor rugs are best when you have pets who run across your house, leaving tracks of dirt and mud.
- Patterns can help mask stains. This can be very helpful when you have a dog that often leaves stains.
- Rugs made out of cotton, unlike Polypropylene rugs, are not as durable and they stain easily. They are not water-proof, as well.
- Hand-made rugs, also known as hand-hooked rugs, are the most expensive type. The price ranges $200 – $1,000.
- Hand-made rugs have the widest variety when it comes to designs and patterns.
- Machine-made rugs have intricate designs. They are created using power looms that can simultaneously weave 5 different colours.
- Machine-made rugs are cheaper than hand-made rugs. Its price ranges between $40 to $750, depending on the size.
- Outdoor rugs that are made of jute, which is a natural fibber, is not as mildew – proof as the one made of Polypropylene. However, since it is natural, it also makes a better choice if you have babies around.
Rugs are functional and interesting pieces for your home. They can save you a lot of time and effort cleaning, at the same time, adds color to your space.